I have been exposed to many languages and technologies over the course of my 15+ year career. My primary focus has always been on the front-end, working solely on HTML and CSS; however I also work in mid- and back-end technical stacks and love it.
- Front-End: HTML 5, CSS, Sass, Less, Bootstrap 3 & 4, Bourbon Neat, Twig, Handlebars
- Languages: PHP, Gulp, JSP, JSTL
- CMS: Drupal 7 & 8, WordPress, Magento, WooCommerce
My freelance and portfolio site contains a number of examples of my website work, as well as variety of tools, plugins, presentation slides, and development articles that I have written.
January 2016 – present
- Leading the university’s accessibility development efforts.
That Dev Girl
Founder & Lead Developer
October 2015 – present
Conference Speaking and Teaching
- “Accessible Development For All!” at edUi (September 2017)
- “Accessible Development For All!” at ConvergeSE (June 2017)
- “Accessible Development For All!” at NoVA CodeCamp (April 2017)
- Front-End Web Development at General Assembly (March 2016 – June 2016)
- Front-End Web Development at General Assembly (December 2015 – March 2016)
Previous Professional Experience
Atlantic Media Strategies
Lead Web Developer
January 2015 – October 2015
- Developed responsive front-end solutions for client projects, with a focus on best practices in WordPress.
- Led and grew the web development team by establishing project workflows.
- Created a development resource library containing base themes and reusable custom libraries and WP plugins.
- The Chicago Community Trust: Lead developer on a project to develop a new responsive website in WordPress. The site released in May 2015 and won the 2015 OMMA award for website excellence.
Senior User Experience Developer
December 2009 – December 2014
- Worked collaboratively with both the creative and back-end development teams to develop user-focused client sites that meet project requirements and modern e-commerce standards
- Macys: I re-platformed the UI of their product management application as a Backbone app, with Marionette, Require, Jasmine, and a custom light-weight CSS grid framework. I also worked with a team to launch a company-wide core UI platform using Backbone and jQuery UI.
- Stella & Dot: I localized their online shop for the European market and redesigned a significant part of the site’s stylist order creating workflow. Development work was done in Magento, using CSS, jQuery, and Prototype.
- Northern California AAA: I re-platformed their website using Drupal and developed front-end functionality for dynamic forms, banner carousels, and tabbed content using CSS & jQuery.
Cambridge Interactive Development Corp.
Web Content Engineering Manager & Translation Manager
June 2004 – July 2009
- Directly managed front-end web content engineers. Our department maintained the corporate website, marketing websites, and secure web application UIs for 8 gaming platforms.
- Developed new features and promotions for marketing websites and secure applications for 8 gaming platforms.
- Developed and launched a marketing website for a new gaming platform, Everest Casino.
- Led web content development for key online promotions and new locale-specific online payment methods.
- Created the company’s localization department. Set standards used by this department for all copy localization.
- Managed the translation process for all website and software copy in over 15 written languages. Directly managed product translators in 3 emerging markets.
Degrees and Certifications
Magento Front End Developer Certification, 2013
Master of Fine Arts, 2003
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY
Major: Electronic Arts
Bachelor of Science, 2000
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY
Dual Major: Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication & Computer Science
Webmaster for One Voice, 2014 – present
I maintain and support new functionality for the One Voice website. In early 2014, I developed their online store using WooCommerce and developed a custom plugin (WC Tiered Shipping) to support the store’s custom shipping rates.
Member of the Magento Certification Advisory Board, 2013 – present
I worked with the Magento exam team to write and review their new front-end developer certification exam.
Packt Publishing Editor, 2013
I was a technical content editor for the jQuery 2.0 Development Cookbook, which was published in February 2014.